Tripe is present in many of the Balkan recipes. Tripe soup is not only a cure for those suffering from hangovers, but also one of the most popular soups prepared in that region.
Almost all major supermarkets sell tripe, which is ready to be cooked. But before it got there, it was factory-processed and the hairs and accumulated layers of food and stomach fluid were removed.
Anyone who has had to clean tripe knows, that this is not one of the most enjoyable and easy things they have ever done in the kitchen.
And now let us share with you how to clean tripe at home. There are different way to clean tripe and here are some suggestions on how to do so.
If you have tripe that has just been taken out, you probably know that it has a rather unpleasant aroma. The first thing to do is to rinse the tripe with boiling water.
Then set it aside and prepare the rest of the necessary things. You need some slaked lime and sand. What to do with them?
1. Turn the tripe on the side where the hairs are.
2. Grab a small piece of slaked lime and rub it well with it.
3. Leave it for about 3-5 minutes.
4. Then sprinkle it with sand and rub it with your hands, as if you were washing a garment by hand, until the slaked lime has spread well all over the tripe.
5. Put it on a wooden cutting board and grab a knife to scrape the tripe in the opposite direction of the hairs.
6. After this procedure, rinse it with water and you're done.
The second way is much simpler. Grab a pot, in which you need to pour enough water to cover the tripe. Put the pot on the stove and leave it until the water is boiling. Place the tripe in it and after 20-30 seconds take it out.
Start scraping with a knife in the opposite direction of the hairs. Scrape the tripe, until it turns white and if you have not managed to scrape it well, immerse it again in water for a while, so that it can be boiled slightly again and you can remove everything from it easily.
Now that you know how to clean your tripe, we suggest you check out some of these tried and tested tripe recipes.