Every corner of the earth has its miraculous plants, which contribute to the human body more benefits than any medicine. We have our own plants such as rose hips, nettles, buckthorn, etc., but unlike our ancestors we have the opportunity to use not only the ones in our country, but also the natural gifts from around the world.
One similar product are chia seeds. Given that they comes from Central America, it is not surprising that they have such a name. In the last few years in America, the seeds have become very popular and are considered a remedy for many diseases, as well as a very good helper for those who want to lose weight.
Chia is an annual herb that grows in central and southern Mexico. The Aztecs believed that chia seeds gave them superpowers and they ate them before hunting for greater endurance, strength and energy. Along with amaranth seeds, chia seeds are one of the most important foods for these ancient peoples.
Today, chia is grown in Mexico, Guatemala, Australia, India and southern Europe. They are very popular among vegetarians in Europe and the United States, as chia is an additional source of calcium - 100 g of seeds contain 631 ml of calcium.
There are no exaggerated legends about the benefits of chia seeds
Two tablespoons of chia seeds contain:
- 31 percent monounsaturated (useful) fats;
- 16 percent protein;
- 44 percent carbohydrates;
- 38 percent fat;
Every 85 calories from chia give:
- 2 times more omega-3 fats than 100 g of salmon;
- 41 percent of the daily norm of dietary fiber;
- 6 times more calcium than a glass of milk;
- 32 percent of the daily norm of magnesium;
- 6 times more iron than spinach;
- 64 percent potassium from one banana;
- 2 times more antioxidants than blueberries.
In addition, chia seeds contain zinc, phosphorus, vitamins A, E and C, thiamine, niacin, roboflavin.
What is the effect of regular consumption of chia seeds?
- They improve the function of the digestive system;
- Regulate body weight;
- Maintain and improve the work of the cardiovascular system;
- Reduce blood cholesterol levels;
- 2 tbsp. of chia seeds maintain a feeling of satiety for a long time, which is why you eat less. Therefore, they are very good for those who want to lose weight. There are effective diets for weight loss based on chia;
- The waist becomes thinner, because chia seeds regulate the blood sugar, which is one of the causes of belly fat.
The beneficial properties are based on the unique composition of chia seeds, so it is difficult to argue when they say it is a superfood.
In liquids, chia seeds swell and increase their size 12 times more. Consume them in different ways, but in their raw form.
Use of chia seeds
- They are prepared as oatmeal or milk is just poured over them and after 10-15 minutes they swell up and are ready for consumption;
- Mexicans cover them in fruit juice and call it chia fresco;
- Sprouted seeds are used for salads;
- They are an excellent ingredient for shakes and juices for weight loss. Only 1 tbsp. of chia seeds is added to your favorite fruits and vegetables and your healthy breakfast is ready.
Recipes for shakes with chia seeds
1. Pour the chia seeds with a glass of almond milk or water and leave them for 10-15 minutes to swell up. Then put in the blender half a banana or about 100 g of fresh or frozen fruit, a handful of spinach, 100 g of low-fat yogurt and a spoonful of honey. Blend everything very well and add the swollen seeds, 1 tbsp. flaxseed and the excellent slimming shake is ready for consumption;
2. Soak 1 tbsp. of chia seeds in 1 cup of water to swell up, then place them in a blender along with 1 cup of lemon juice and 1 tbsp. honey, blend the mixture very well and drink the drink in the morning on an empty stomach.
These recipes will help you reduce the blood sugar, cholesterol, triglycerides and reduce the total amount of fat accumulated in your body.
We recommend you to check out those chia seed recipes.