Whenever we want to fuel our bodies with energy, we often turn to products that are unhealthy. This is the case with energy drinks. Drinking them in excess can be especially harmful. Here's why:
1. High amounts of sugar - About 15 teaspoons of sugar are found in 1 such drink. Besides this shockingly high dosage of sugar, they leave us dehydrated. They are capable of suppressing immune system function, increasing inflammation, causing cavities and enormous upsurges in body weight.
2. Stress and anxiety - Energy drinks worsen these states. This is mostly because of the excessive amounts of caffeine, which in some drinks is more than the amount listed on the label. It has been proven that in large amounts, caffeine causes panic and chronic stress.
3. Side effects - Among these are chest pain, dizziness, fainting, insomnia, hyperactivity, shaking, upset stomach and even cardiovascular attacks.
4. Changes in mood - Experiments have revealed that those who often grab a caffeine stimulant have decreased levels of serotonin (the hormone of happiness). And lack of it leads to depression, anxiety and bad moods.
5. Stress on the organs - Energy drinks put severe stress mostly on the heart, kidneys, liver, brain and digestive tract. Whenever you consume these types of drinks, these organs work as if you are in a fight and ultimately lead to complete ruin.
6. Insomnia - Energy drinks definitely give energy throughout the day but also lead to a loss of deep and calm sleep. And this will inevitably make you reach for them the next day.
7. Artificial flavors and colors - The different flavors of some energy drinks are filled with toxic chemical colorants - different food dyes, such as red no. 30. The intake of this chemical leads to conditions varying from migraine and headache to temper tantrums, aggressive behavior, hyperactivity, uncontrollable screaming and crying, nervousness, kicking and others.
8. Fatigue - There are some people who feel absolutely drained after the intake of caffeine. This has to do with the adrenal glands and the so-called adrenal fatigue. To avoid this problem, the quantities of caffeine need to be reduced, not increased.
9. B-vitamins - They are found in every energy drink. However, the daily dose is exceeded multiple times. This leads to reddening of the skin, liver toxicity and sensory nerve problems.
10. Price - They daily habit of gulping down energy drinks surely has a disastrous effect on your budget. If you kick it, you'll be surprised at how quickly you'll be able to afford something actually practical.
11. Artificial sweeteners - Here we're talking mostly about aspartame. Used to sweeten drinks that are labelled as sugar-free, it can be even more hazardous to one's health than sugar itself.
12. Ginkgo biloba - Despite its benefits, use of it leads to headache, nausea and diarrhea in some people. In addition it interacts with other drugs, such as antidepressants and anticoagulants.
13. L-Theanine - Or the so-called green tea extract. This is an amino acid extracted from green tea. It is used in the production of the majority of energy drinks and shots. It causes a different type of alertness than caffeine, which has not yet been identified.
14. Allergic reactions - Since caffeine is a main ingredient in these types of drinks, the most common allergies are because of it. They can be expressed in rashes, difficulty breathing, chest tightness, vomiting and many other types of unpleasant consequences.See more