Meat and meat products are highly valued in the majority of homes. At the same time, most statistics show that the amount of meat we eat needs to be severely reduced and that we should eat more fresh fruits and vegetables. The main reason is that meat contains a lot of fat and is among the foods that the body is not able to process quickly.
This does not mean stopping to eat meat altogether but rather to consider the amount consumed and to choose when buying. Most health food experts find it crucial to stick to the so-called "food pyramid" method.
According to it, the most important thing for a healthy way of life is to drink lots of water, to eat carbohydrate foods rich in fiber and to limit the consumption of high-protein foods, such as meat.
Here are several points of advice for consuming meat and meat products and how to choose the best ones:
- Choose meats low in fats. These are chicken, turkey, rabbit meat. If you do get the urge to eat beef, lamb or pork, choose one that has less fat.
- Sausages and semi-processed meats contain a lot of salt, preservatives and other ambiguous ingredients, which is why it's best to avoid them.
- Always remove the skin of the meats, as well as the membranes, veins and all visible fat from the veal, beef, pork and lamb.
- Keep in mind that you can always season the meat with various natural spices. When we exclude all ready-made spices such as Vegeta and other spice mixes, which are not considered healthy, you can use any fresh spices because they facilitate digestion of the not-so-easily digestible meat.
- Bird meat and lean fish are best for little children. Adults should also focus on eating white meat from small animals and fish.
- No matter what meat you choose, always consume it in moderate quantities and well garnished with vegetables.
- Avoid smoked meats unless you've prepared them yourself.
- Have proteins at every meal but alternate them with milk proteins and eggs. For example, at breakfast you can have a slice of brown or wholegrain bread and a chicken fillet on top. For lunch you can eat something without any meat, in combination with milk or eggs, and for dinner - lean meat, chicken or fish.