In cuisines around the world, one can come across a myriad of sweet and savory fillings for treats, crackers, scones and phyllo pastries, as well as for meats, croquettes, fish and more. Fillings can be diverse and exotic depending on what part of the continent you're preparing or consuming them in.
But when we're talking about European cuisine, there are a number of sweet and savory fillings that are eaten en masse in all countries and have proven themselves over time. Here some examples:
Sweet fillings for cakes, eclairs, rolls
2. Breton butter cream, prepared with butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, lemon zest and an aromatic spice of your choice (for example Maraschino essence).
4. Crème anglaise, made from egg yolks, sugar, milk and vanilla.
5. Fruit cream, made from milk, powdered sugar, butter, vanilla, cognac or rum and fruits of your choice.
7. Garash cream, made with cream, chocolate, powdered sugar and vanilla.
8. Chocolate cream, prepared from sugar, milk, butter, egg yolks, vanilla and chocolate.
9. Coffee buttercream, prepared with butter, sugar, eggs and coffee.
10. Glaze filling, made of butter, powdered sugar and walnuts.
Savory fillings for phyllo pastries, meat, fish, pelmeni and others
1. Finely chopped cheese, ham or sausages, mushrooms and pickles all mixed together.
2. Spinach and feta cheese.
3. Feta cheese and olives.
6. Vegetarian filling with zucchini, onions, garlic and feta.
9. A filling of cabbage, onions, carrots and rice.
10. A filling of rice, raisins, onions and aromatic spices.
Try the recipes for sweet scones with poppy seed filling, corn fritters with filling, pork steaks with filling, muffins with sweet and sour filling, cakes with marmalade filling, scones with cocoa-walnut filling, donuts with filling.