French fries are one of the favorite foods of young and old alike. Once slightly cooled, sprinkled with feta cheese, ketchup or even nothing at all, anyone would be hard-pressed to resist their delicious call. As with all types of food, no matter how easy it might be to prepare, there are a few tricks you can use to make the perfect French fries.
The fastest and easiest way to make them is to use a deep fryer. If you don't have one, there are 7 Golden rules for frying in a pan that will not only guarantee the most delicious French fries but will also help you minimize the unhealthy effects of the frying.
2. Avoid stirring the potatoes during the first 4 min. after you place them in the pan. Once a golden crust forms, turn them over and wait for them to fry evenly.
3. The potatoes turn out exceptionally delicious if sauteed just a little while still in the pan. To do this lower the heat and cover with a lid for about 7 to 9 min. This will guarantee a supreme crunchy taste.
4. Stir the potatoes no more than 3-4 times so they don't come apart.
5. About 30 min. before taking out the French fries, add a little bit of onions or garlic to braise in the pan with them. Be careful not to burn it because it can ruin the taste of all the products. Once the onions soften, take everything out in a heap.
6. Add a pinch of salt right at the end before you remove them. If you want the potatoes to be crunchier salt them before you begin frying them. Another option, if you don't like them too salty, is to roll the potatoes in flour and then fry them.
7. Once the French fries are ready put them on a paper towel so it absorbs the excess grease.
Also try: French fries with turmeric, French fries with tomato sauce, Cypress-style French fries, French fries in eggs, French fries with eggs and feta cheese.