They're also good against aging and are exceptionally beneficial for people suffering from anemia. Unlike cabbage, they don't cause bloated stomach and are suitable for consumption even by children. That's why they're excellent for heating throughout the entire year, not just when they are in season.
Even if you don't have fresh broccoli and cauliflower available, you can get them frozen from almost any large supermarket.
It's best to learn how to freeze them yourself, while only choosing the highest quality vegetables. If necessary, remove some of the florets which you don't think are suitable for consumption.
Here's what's important to know if you decide to freeze cauliflower or broccoli:
1. Whenever buying cauliflower or broccoli, always pick out quality products, even if they're a bit more expensive.
2. Before freezing cauliflower or broccoli, be sure to blanch them beforehand, so that their color, consistency and taste are preserved.
3. First, the products need to be thoroughly washed. Rip the broccoli and cauliflower into florets and remove the tougher parts. Wash them with care. They are now ready for branching.
4. Blanch the cauliflower and broccoli for about 7 min., by putting them in boiling, salted water. You need to have a big enough pot or simply blanch them in portions. Always add a little salt to the water, while blanching time must not be less than 5 min.
5. Once the vegetables have been blanched, pour cold water over them and leave them to drain well in a colander. If necessary you can dry them carefully with a paper towel as well.
6. Once the vegetables are ready for freezing, put them in plastic bags, press on them lightly so that the bags become as compact as possible and don't take up unnecessary space in your freezer. It's very important to get the air out of the bags and then fold them carefully.
7. It's a good idea to make different sized portions of broccoli and cauliflower, depending on what you intend to cook with them.
You can write down the approximate amount of vegetables on paper tape and stick it on the bags, to make it easier for you later when you decide to use them.