Believe it or not, dark chocolate contains nutrients rich in antioxidants and soluble fiber that are exceptionally beneficial for our digestive system. One study shows that the cocoa contained in natural dark chocolate has a greater antioxidant effect, as well as more polyphenols and flavanols than blueberries and acai berry.
With dark chocolate we really can add a few extra years to our life. It improves heart function and protects the cardiovascular system, protects the skin from harmful UV damage and can help lower stress and anxiety.
Here's a few more reasons for substituting milk chocolate with dark:
- It helps improve memory - the flavanols found in dark chocolate have been proven to have a positive effect in improving memory. According to the Be Brain Fit study by Harvard Medical School, drinking 2 cups of hot chocolate increases blood flow to the brain for a period of 2-3 hours, which leads to better memory and the ability to solve problems.
- With its wide spectrum of antioxidants, dark chocolate protects and nourishes the skin. People who consume it have significantly less wrinkles.
- Eating small amounts of chocolate can keep your intestines healthy. Research has found that intestinal bacteria break down components in dark chocolate, turning them into absorbable anti-inflammatory compounds that are good for your health.
- Flavanols have positive effects on the cardiovascular system, they lower blood pressure, prevent blood coagulation and decrease blood platelets.
- Make your teeth healthier with dark chocolate's antibacterial compounds that stop the formation of plaque and biofilm and prevent tooth cavities.
- Some studies indicate that dark chocolate can play a role in regulating hormones. According to Health Magazine, the cocoa in dark chocolate can cause a relaxing effect in blood vessel walls, which lowers blood pressure and improves circulation.See more