Roasted Peppers with Milk
- peppers - 10. green or red
- tomatoes - 4 - 5 large (or store - bought tomato juice, tomato paste), grated or blended
- sugar - 1 tsp, optional, to counter the acidity
- milk - 4 1/5 cups (1 liter)
- garlic - 2 - 3 cloves
- flour - 3 - 4 tbsp
- parsley - fresh
- black pepper - to taste
- oil - a little, for braising
- salt - to taste
Bake the peppers whole, peel them, with or without the seeds, cut them into strips, as desired. Braise the tomatoes with oil, add the flour, milk, garlic, black pepper and sugar. The mixture becomes creamy pink. Once it boils add the peppers.
Boil another 20-30 minutes to the desired consistency. Finally, after you take it off the heat, add the salt and parsley, finely chopped. Delicious to eat both hot and cold. Enjoy!
Notes: I know this recipe from my mother-in-law, who was a great cook. This dish is made only in North- Eastern Europe, because wherever I go and cook it, people have never heard of or tried it.
The quantities given are for about 6 servings, depending on how many peppers you serve each person.