Aromatic Lamb Clod in the Oven
- lamb clod - 2 lb (1 kg)
- potatoes - 4 - 5
- onions - 1 head
- white wine - 1 cup (220 ml)
- water - 1 cup (250 ml) + about 2/3 cup (150 ml) for topping off
- olive oil - 1/3 cup (75 ml)
- black pepper
- paprika - 1 tsp
- butter - 1/5 cup (60 g)
- mint - 2 - 3 tbsp, freshly chopped leaves
- rosemary - to taste
- green garlic - 2 bunches
- green onions - 2 bunches
- mint - 1 tablespoon or spearmint
- salt - 2 pinches
1. Place the lamb clod in a large container with water and leave it to sit for 30 min. In the meantime, chop the green onions and garlic for the stuffing very finely, along with the green parts, and mix them with the mint and salt.
2. Dry the meat from the water and rub it well with black pepper and rosemary. Make cuts and place stuffing in them, sprinkle the remainder around it. If you have the time leave it to take in the flavors for 1 hour but if you're in a hurry you can go directly to step 3.
3. Mix 1 cup (250 ml) water with the olive oil, wine and 2-3 pinches salt. Pour this mixture over the meat and wrap the tray in aluminum foil. Place in a preheated 392°F (200 °C) oven with the upper and lower elements on, no fan.
5. After cooking for 40 min. on the other side, remove from the oven and arrange the remaining vegetables around the meat, top off with 2/3 cup (150 ml) water and distribute thin slices of butter everywhere. Sprinkle salt, paprika and spearmint or mint, return to the oven, wrapping well with the foil again. Bake another 40 min. or so but lower the heat a little.
6. Remove the foil and raise the temperature again - to 410°F (210 °C) this time. Bake the meat and veggies to a nice golden crisp.
7. Serve right away and enjoy the fantastic aroma and tenderness of the meat.
Tip: It's best to make 2 deep incisions, nearly down to the bone, on the outside of the clod - this way the meat will flavor better, as well as cook faster and more evenly. If you have a suitable instrument you can make a slight cut on the bone itself.