Macedonian Pita (Kneaded in Breadmaker)
- milk - 1 1/5 cups (300 ml) warm (original recipe uses water)
- eggs - 3 (1 yolk for smearing)
- yeast - 2 1/5 tsp (11 g) dry or 1/2 cube of live yeast
- sugar - 1 tsp
- salt - 1 tsp
- oil - 3 tbsp
- flour - 2 4/5 cups (675 g)
- for the stuffing
- feta cheese - 12.5 oz (350 g)
- lard - 2 2/3 tbsp (40 g)
- oil - 2 2/3 tbsp (40 ml)
- sesame seeds - for sprinkling
Put all the liquid ingredients in the breadmaker. Pour in the flour on top, then the yeast.
Turn it on and let it knead a soft dough, take it out and leave for 20 min. to rise. Divide the dough into 6 equal parts, form them into balls.
Roll 1 ball out into a sheet the size of a tray laid out with baking paper (the recipe uses a 12 1/2″ (32 cm) tray).
Repeat for the other balls of dough but do not grease the final sheet.
Cut the pita into squares and smear with the set aside yolk, mixed with 1 tbsp milk and 1 tbsp oil.
Sprinkle with sesame seeds and leave to rise. Bake in a preheated 356°F (180 °C) oven.